The Directorate of Water Resources and Improvement of River Systems (DWIR) is considering a combination of river training structures and dredging to improve year-round and safe accessibility to the port of Mandalay. ICEM has been engaged to prepare the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) and Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) for Subproject 1.
The project is part of the World Bank funded Ayeyarwady Integrated River Basin Management Project (AIRBMP), which aims at finding and implementing technical and operational schemes for making improvements of the navigability of the Ayeyarwady River Basin. The goal is “to improve inland water transport in priority stretches of the Ayeyarwady River and design a cost-effective and environmentally and socially acceptable strategy for managing the full length of the navigation channel”.
Public consultation for the draft ESIA and ESMP for Subproject 1 will take place on Thursday, 18 January at the Triumph Hotel in Mandalay at 08:45 am.
The objectives of the public consultation for the draft ESIA/ESMP for Subproject 1 are to:
- Present an overview of Component 3 of the AIRBMP and Subproject 1;
- Outline the technical solutions and detailed designs for Subproject 1 based on the results of modeling and simulations;
- Review the key findings of the draft ESIA/ESMP of Subproject 1;
- Discuss stakeholder issues and opportunities to be included in the final ESIA/ESMP for Subproject 1; and
- Outline next steps in relation to the implementation of the Draft ESIA/ESMP and Subproject 1.
The overall objectives of Subproject 1 are to achieve a Least Available Depth (LAD) of 2.0 m for a design of 1,000 dead weight tonne. The river training works and dredging will allow vessels to pass more heavily loaded during dry season, increasing the efficiency of passenger and cargo transport. The project will contribute to the year-round and safe accessibility to the Mandalay Port Area; contribute to the stabilization and deepening of the main navigation channel in the selected area by natural bed erosion and capital dredging for most critical locations; and reduce possible future scenarios that the navigation channel shifts to one of the side channels.
Subproject 1 comprises the following three components:
- Bank protection – to commence construction in February 2017
- Roughness measures (concrete porcupines and hedges) – to commence construction in October 2017
- Dredging program – the location and extent/volume of dredging required in 2018/19 in the upstream and downstream areas is still to be specified.
Public consultation agenda:
08:45 – 09:00: Registration
09:00 – 09:10: Opening remarks – Mandalay Regional Government/Ministry of Transport and Communications (Mandalay office)
09:10 – 09:20: Overview of Component 3 of the AIRMBP and Subproject 1 – AIRBM Project Director/Component 3 Director
09:20 – 09:50: Detailed design and modeling results for Subproject 1 – RHDHV
09:50 – 10:00: Discussion
10:00 – 10:20: Coffee Break
10:20 – 11:00: Draft ESIA/ESMP of Subproject 1 – Rory Hunter, ICEM and Dr. Lwin Lwin Wai, ICEM
11:00 – 11:45: Discussion on comments on the Draft ESIA for Subproject 1; stakeholder issues and opportunities to be included in the ESIA/ESMP; and next steps
11:45 – 12:00: Closing remarks – AIRBM Project Director/Component 3 Director