Climate and Natural Disasters Resilience Project in Bac Kan Province
Donor/Partner: AREP/AFD | Duration: 2018 | Location: Vietnam
In 2016, the Vietnam Climate Change Scenario of Bac Kan province was updated to include a range of changes in precipitation and temperature, and specific additional details and probability of extreme events, to be used to update the province’s Climate Action Plan to adapt to climate change.
Subsequent, the Bac Kan Provincial People’s Committee (PPC) developed a project proposal which aims to promote sustainable and resilient development for Bac Kan city. The proposal focuses on construction components (embankment, weir, dredging and drainage system) and institutional components (Climate Change Action Plan, river basin and watershed management, application of green infrastructure and bio-engineering). ICEM is supporting AREP to review the project proposal.
Objective: Review and strengthen the project proposal developed by the PPC to promote sustainable and resilient development of Bac Kan city.
- Conduct a critical review of the Climate Change Scenario of Bac Kan province in relation to its Climate Action Plan to adapt to climate change;
- Analyze local water resources management problems in the context of climate change and urban development based on the available documents;
- Assess the erosion risks caused by floods in the Cau river, taking into consideration the future impacts of climate change scenarios on water levels in the river;
- Review the project proposal in order to verify consistency and coherence in the context of climate change, and in relation to national and provincial strategies on integrated river basin management and recommend alternatives if needed;
- Support AREP in assisting the province to prioritize the proposed investments based on a brief costs and benefits analysis;
- Outline the main technical and institutional issues to be addressed during the feasibility study.