Enhanced Use of Disaster Risk Information for Decision Making in Southeast Asia – ASEAN Component
Donor: Supported by the Government of Canada through the Integrated Disaster Risk Management (IDRM) Fund administered by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) | Duration: 2017-2018 | Location: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam
Phase II of the AADMER Work Program 2016-2020 has identified Building Safe ASEAN Infrastructure and Essential Services as one of the priority programs for implementation. Better known as BUILD SAFELY, this program has identified strengthening disaster and climate resilience of secondary cities as a priority, especially given the rapid urbanization and increasing disaster risk in ASEAN cities.
Key outputs of the BUILD SAFELY program are:
- Capacity building program and pool of practitioners and professionals on urban planning
- ASEAN Urban Planners Forum
- Engagement of local governments on urban resilience initiatives
In support of the AADMER Work Program, the recommendations of a scoping study on urban disaster resilience in Southeast Asia highlighted, among others, (i) the need for keeping urban planning ahead of rapid urbanization and, in that context, strengthen capacity for integrating disaster and climate risk considerations in urban planning processes; and (ii) for the ASEAN, in partnership with centers of excellence, to develop a comprehensive, competency-based capacity building program on urban resilience issues.
In response, the overall objective of Enhanced Use of Disaster Risk Information for Decision Making in Southeast Asia – ASEAN Component is to improve the capacity of selected ASEAN countries to integrate urban disaster and climate-risk management (DCRM) into their development processes.
The project approach consists of three phases:
- Phase 1: Scoping and baseline: A desk review of DCRM, national consultations on urban DCRM and the production of a roadmap for mainstreaming urban DCRM
- Phase 2: Training design and implementation: Drafting an outline of a regional training course on urban DCRM, conducting a regional consultation workshop, designing an ASEAN regional training course on urban DCRM and delivering two regional training events
- Phase 3: Ensuring sustainability and communicating results: Development of a national database and regional online forum for urban planners, incorporating urban DCRM into existing curricula and preparation of the final report