Mekong River Commission – Joint Project on Flood and Drought Management
Donor: GIZ | Partners: Consultants of Technology Co., Ltd. (COT) and Phnom Penh International Consultants (PPIC) | Duration: 2020 – 2021 | Location: Cambodia and Thailand
About: GIZ is delivering the Technical Cooperation (TC) module Transboundary water cooperation in the Lower Mekong Basin, which aims at improving cooperation between Mekong River Commission (MRC) Member States and strengthening governance in the water resources sector in order to balance competing uses of water in the Lower Mekong Basin (LMB).
In partnership with COT and PPIC, ICEM is delivering Output 3 of the TC: Measures to mitigate the effects of floods and droughts in Cambodia and Thailand are planned jointly by neighbouring counties with the support of the MRC.
A Joint Project between Cambodia and Thailand has completed an initial assessment of flood and drought risk in a selected sub-area and identified a range of potential mitigation projects. ICEM will build on that initial assessment to develop two priority projects into full concept notes and facilitate their submission to donors for consideration. During this process, ICEM will also directly contribute to the development of flood and drought management tools.
- Identify potential funding sources
- Prepare expanded situation analyses to complement the results of the joint assessment by providing deeper insight on priority projects with consideration to climate change, food security objectives and social vulnerability including poverty and gender
- Contribute to the development and use of flood and drought management tools
- Develop two funding proposals for the implementation of the identified priority flood and drought mitigation measures
- Deliver capacity building for key stakeholders actively involved in the development of the funding proposals and implementation of the Joint Project for flood and drought management
Image credit: Chiang Rai Times